Thursday, September 15, 2011

Champions In Their Own Right

If you are to take any advice from me, take this: Experience moments in which you are unsure and naive. In no way am I condoning thrill seeking or doing a dangerous activity. I simply wish to pass on the joy of living in a moment where you normally would not have tread. And take advice from people you trust.


This is all attempting to explain my joy of today. And actually, the entire TIFF 2011. In my first year of going to the festival, I would be shallow (I’ll admit it!) and only see those films that have the biggest buzz - and not the good buzz. The buzz derived from a big name. My second year I spent so much effort attempting to discover different types of film. Since I was unemployed and volunteering, I had more time to dive into the program. However, I was consistent in being drawn to the names. I did make a point to see a foreign film (which is something I suggest every do. Just see one foreign film), and for these films see my postings from 2009. It’s a small selection of my viewings.


My third year took me in a different direction. I started listening to others and just going to see anything. This took me to one of my favourite films that A told me to see with her. I got a ticket last minute and when I sat down to watch it, I was blown away. I doubt I’ve laughed so genuinely and for so long during any film. I was eternally grateful for her bringing me to The Trip. Seriously, go see this film! ...Now.


Now we are brought to today. This entire festival started for me on Day 3. I had no idea what was playing, what any film is about, who is supposed to be here, what director is up and coming. I was a blank slate and I decided to go for whatever was good for time considering I’m working ninety per cent of the festival. So the first three films just came about from setting out to see any film and I was incredibly satisfied. But my happiest moment was when I ditched today’s possible agenda and took someone’s advice. While waiting for Like Crazy to begin, my Film Festival Goddess Friend (FFGF) asked me what else I wanted to see. So I told her I didn’t know, just to see her advice (which has never steered me wrong in the past). And in the midst of her listing credential films, the title Undefeated came up. Upon curiosity, FFGF broke it down by explaining, “It’s season 4 of Friday Night Lights”.


Done.


Holy Crap. This documentary has the most solid narrative and emotional strength I have ever experienced in a theatre. The connectivity the two filmmakers, Daniel Lindsay and TJ Martin, created had me in tears from ten minutes in. Undefeated is the film that everyone needs to know. Spread the word and shout it’s name. I will not indulge in repeating the events here. This is a film that needs to be experienced first hand. It captured moments in these lives that will have you cheering the team on, cringing when a tackle hits hard, crying when the boys struggle and wanting so much for them to achieve. Both Lindsay and Martin embraced techniques that were rooted within themselves in order to achieve certain heartbreaking moments on screen. Natural instinct - and 500 plus hours of shot footage selected down to a very solid two hour film - created an ambiance within each frame.


Upon hearing the boys had never shot a football game, I was astonished to see the quality of their work take on so much energy. Martin stated that they had a learning curve when shooting the games, and that with each one they consistently grew in ability and knowledge. The power comes from their point of view; opting out of the bird’s eye overview to find the true emotion in the game, which came from the sidelines. With only three cameras present at any game (five during playoffs), it was astonishing to see the coverage of the sport as well as the intensity. High school matches don’t have the same immensity as National, and even College, so placing the camera in the emotional zone (the coaches pacing strides along the sideline, the frantic searching for a fumbled ball, right in the midst of a play on the field) forced the audience to feel their triumphs and their pain.


Even if you despise football (firstly, I’m sorry, but we can’t be friends...), go see Undefeated. It may not convert you to the sport, but the film is much more than the games. This film is more emotionally captivating, more dedicated, more frustrating, more driven than anything I have ever witnessed.

No comments: